Injuries caused by sports-related activities remain a substantial concern with players, coaches and parents alike.
As inflammation and pain play primary roles with respect to recovery, hyperbaric oxygen therapy has been shown to significantly reduce inflammation and ameliorate pain.
Additionally, HBOT can promote fibroblast/collagen activity to accelerate and enhance healing from surgeries and wounds.
New evidence supports HBOT as an adjunct and practical treatment to help moderate the effects of traumatic brain injuries and enhance brain imaging results.
HBOT is often utilized by physicians and patients to help reach a full recovery from high-impact insults to the body and is currently used by some of the U.S. Olympic Teams to treat sports-related injuries as a part of their official medical techniques and equipment.
Accelerate recovery from
- Increases collagen production
- Reduces inflammation & pain
- Faster & better recovery from sprains, tears & bone fractures
- Stimulates angiogenesis
- Enhances recovery from medial collateral ligament (MCL) & anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries
- Decreases susceptibility towards reinjuring target areas
- Rapid recovery from concussions & head injuries
- Improves SPECT imaging results
Faster recovery from surgeries:
- Increases fibroblast activation
- Reduces inflammation for optimal pre-op conditions
- Reduces risk of infection
- Stimulates stem cell proliferation
- Decreases hospital time
- Improves concentration
- Increases serotonin levels
- Accelerates jet lag recovery
- Decreases lactic acid
Stem Cells have the remarkable potential to develop into numerous different cell types and serve as the body’s primary internal repair system.
The innate ability of stem cells to differentiate into other types of cells with specialized functions (blood, brain or tissue cells) replenishes and regenerates the body from the effects of age and disease.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy has been shown to significantly increase the concentration of circulating stem/progenitor cells within the peripheral circulation system. By increasing blood plasma oxygen levels, bone marrow derived stem cells were shown to significantly proliferate and mobilize.
The proposed mechanism of action was through a nitric oxide dependent mechanism. This evidence plays a key role in regenerative medicine as the increased number of stem cells in the body have the ability provide enhanced and accelerated physiological repair.
Enhance stem cell activity:
- Activates nitric oxide synthase type 3 (NOS-3)
- Proliferates and mobilizes bone marrow derived stem cells
- Improves engraftment and differentiation of several prognitor cell types in organs such as the spleen, bone marrow, brain, peripheral nerve, pancreas, cartilage & heart
- Increases colony-forming cells
- Stimulates stromal-derived growth factor
- Reduces high ROS levels
- Promotes endothelial growth factor-2 for angiogenesis
- Increases CD34 expression & pluripotent stem cells
Enhance healing from disease/injury:
- Accelerates growth & repair of damaged tissue
- Improves tissue regeneration & organ functionality
- Promotes neurogenesis
- Stimulates osteogenesis
- Ameliorates diabetic symptoms
- Enhances recovery from heart attack